Tuesday 31 May 2011

June's Theme

It's funny isn't it how sometimes you can get a light bulb moment in the strangest of places and at the weirdest times. JK Rowling said that Harry Potter just walked into her head whilst she sat on a train, ok so this is slightly different but I did have a light bulb moment for this month's theme whilst scrubbing the toilet. I don't know what it was about the toilet that suddenly gave me inspiration but staring down into the toilet bowl there it was...this month's theme!
Thankfully it has absolutely nothing to do with toilets or scrubbing the bathroom, but I was thinking about the Intellectual Dinner Club and how this month I really wanted to set us a challenge, something that would inspire us, really make us work. I started thinking about school and the subjects I always enjoyed such as art and design and technology and then I thought, why on earth did I never pursue these interests when I was younger? I was always so fascinated by artists and designers, I loved learning about where they got their inspiration from to create something so amazing or quirky or sometimes downright ugly. And so there was my light bulb moment, there was the theme...finally! So this month I have decided that we are going to research a designer and find out about what inspires or inspired them. I then want us to look for our own inspiration, for example maybe each of us could take inspiration from our surroundings, another designer , a country or a pretty flower. Then what  I really want us to do is put some work in and design something based on our inspiration...anything... a car, a picture, a clothes line, make-up range...anything! I quickly threw off my horrible rubber gloves and sat and scribbled my idea down. For the first time I feel confident that everybody in the group will like this theme...including our toughest member Amanda! If she purses her lips I know it's a disaster and that she hates it but honestly I think I've got it this time. It is going to be a challenge and what with work and everything else going on in our lives right now I have no idea how or when we are going to get chance to do our themes...but I can't wait to get started!
Catherine

No comments: