Monday 7 May 2012

April's Dinner - Italy

We're taking the slow train to Leeds today...it's Sunday lunchtime and the four of us are trying hard not to stare at George Michael who has just boarded the train. It's scary...with blonde highlights, aviator sunglasses and a suntan the resemblance is uncanny and suddenly prompts Phoebe to break out into a rendition of 'Faith.'  Then sadly George disappears from view, shrouded by a sea of bald, beer bellied men in tight T-shirts who have just joined our train at Dewsbury. Our destination today is Italy (if only) as we continue our culinary world tour of West Yorkshire.

We decided that we'd go a little further afield and travel over to Leeds to visit Jamie Oliver's Italian. Danielle meets us there and we excitedly settle into our table and order our drinks: Prosecco's, Bellini's, Caprinha's and delicious Ginger Mojito's. We're experiencing it all lately...work stresses, breakdown, Cancer and divorce are all unfortunately on our agendas but at this moment in time, as we settle into our table, all of that disappears. We're in Italy now and perusing a very sumptuous sounding menu...nothing else matters.

Jamie's Italian is converted from an old bank...the building still retains some original features and combines these with modern fittings and fixtures. The kitchen is visible and forms the central feature of the restaurant, sending the heavenly smell of authentic Italian cooking into the air and giving a friendly feel to the establishment...this place has nothing to hide! 
Jamie's presence is very much everywhere from his personal recommendations on the menus to the rows of his cookbooks across the walls. Everyone who knows me will know how much I love this man...mainly because he taught my husband to cook, meaning that I've never really had to cook again. I was very excited to be sat here, sipping on my mojito and trying to decide what I wanted to eat. Obviously I took Jamie's word for it and ordered what the menu said was his favourite 'Turkey Milanese', stuffed with prosciutto and fontina and served with a fried free range egg and truffles.'Posh' chips on the side drizzled with truffle oil and parmesan were the perfect accompaniment. Dani and Caroline ordered Jamie's Italian burger with funky chips, Phoebe opted for the special of Lamb Ravioli and funky chips and Amanda ordered the Wild Rabbit Tagliolini with Posh chips...which looked and smelled amazing! As our food arrived and we tucked in our table descended into a hushed silence...Danielle with a mouthful of burger was the quietest I have ever known her. Caroline very stylishly managed to pour nearly the entire contents of the ketchup bottle over her food. It was delicious. Every dish was lovingly prepared, combining fantastic ingredients in generous portion sizes. I think I've fallen in love with Jamie just a little bit more.
Delicious Lamb Ravioli
Last month I was surviving on a diet of cup-a-soup and crackers. My appetite had disappeared but staring at the dessert menu I found it had very much returned...there was no doubt in my mind: I needed to have the chocolate brownie with amaretto, raspberries and vanilla ice-cream. Phoebe ordered the same , whilst Caroline had the Tiramisu. Danielle was tempted by the Almond tart but sadly Jamie let her down with the lack of custard (she's a Yorkshire lass after all). Amanda opted for a Latte, of course. As we cleared the last of the food and I tried my hardest to maintain some form of elegance and not lick the plate clean we sat in a hazy glow of satisfaction...the food had been fantastic. I could have gone for another round. It was time to bin the cup-a-soup because my appetite was definitely well and truly cured.

Wooops!

After the generously portioned meal, we were ready for a nap by the time we moved onto our themes. I had chosen the theme 'Travel back in time', which was more like a school project than a theme but I had really enjoyed it and felt like I had truly learnt something. I left it to the last minute as usual but I still managed to get a lot out of it and I hoped that the girls had too...keep reading below for our themes.







No comments: