Sunday 27 November 2011

November's Dinner - The Arrival

Sting! He was the topic of our conversation on Thursday night as we sat huddled around our cosy little table by the window at the Woodman Inn in Thunderbridge. We had just survived a scary, rollercoaster journey through the dark, winding country roads where we had screamed as the car dropped down hills and swerved around sharp bends...we'd no idea where we were and as Amanda reminisced about the day when she flipped her mini over onto its roof on these very roads, we wondered if we were ever going to make it to dinner. But we made it and now here we were listening to Amanda seductively reading the menu aloud as though she was the voiceover for the Marks and Spencer's food advert. Sting had just started the first line of 'Fields of Gold' and we all began discussing whether it was necessary for Sting to always have a bit of chest out? No it wasn't. Did we find the tight trousers attractive? Certainly not. We all settled the conversation in the end by agreeing that we didn't really have any appreciation for Sting, his music or his "tantric ways!" Which caused me to attractively lose a bit of my white wine spritzer through one of my nostrils.

We'd all been waiting for this night...it had been a hard month with many changes and for some of us change was a hard thing to have to deal with. For me I just knew I needed to have some time out, I needed to be with the girls and run away from my problems if only for the night. Because that's what I love about the Intellectual Dinner Club...it's an escape. No matter how bad things are I know that I will leave feeling ten times better and with a smile on my face. I had very nearly stayed at home this evening because I just couldn't see how I was going to get past my grump and be sociable, I was angry with myself for letting my problems take over; but now here I was wiping wine out of my nose and trying desperately hard to compose myself in order to select something from the amazing menu that Amanda, and now Caroline were both still seductively reading aloud...it was not going to be easy.  

Keep reading below for more about our November Dinner...

No comments: